Monday, April 14, 2014

Blogging in the Classroom

I am one of those people who is always online. I'm constantly on Facebook, Tumblr, Youtube, Netflix, and Hulu. I'm always searching for the newest shortcut, the next update on all of my websites, my browser, my iPod. As I type this, I have seven tabs open in my browser. So the idea of a blog isn't a new thing for me. All of the buttons are pretty much in the places I'd expect them to be and although sometimes there are twice as many as I know what to do with, I know how to figure out what all of the bells and whistles do. However, it never really crossed my mind to create a blog for my classroom. A Facebook page, maybe, but a blog? Not so much. However, after exploring a few, I can really see the benefit of having one. Not only does it keep parents and other family members updated on what their student is up to in school, but it lets the students know somebody out there cares. I've read some of the replies to our submissions on the Sunnyland page and the 4th grade students really seem to love it. They can't believe somebody twice their age would care about how they're learning about perimeter and area. I think it could definitely make students care more about their school work if they have an audience beyond their teacher who they know will see their final project or their achievements. They might take more pride in what they do because they feel they have fans now.

In pursuing educational blogs, http://huzzah.edublogs.org/ stood out to me. I loved the way it was so interactive. It's not written like a newspaper article that is often similar to talking at someone. Instead, this blog talks with it's readers and seems to hold a conversation with them. I love that! It draws in the audience because they feel they are a part of creating this blog as well. Some comment threads are miles long and there is a very intelligent and engaging discussion happening. Something you certainly wouldn't find on a website like Youtube. I love this idea and I definitely want to create my own blog for my classroom in the future for exactly this reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment